Scam messages have been sent out in the Tax Administration’s name. Read more about scams.

Making payments from other countries

These instructions apply to individual and corporate taxpayers who pay taxes to Finland from abroad.

When paying taxes, use the Tax Administration’s bank account number and your personal reference number for the tax type in question. The reference number allocates your payment to the correct tax.

You can find the bank account number, the reference number, the amount payable and the due date for payment in MyTax or on your tax decision. You may need the full address of the Tax Administration in order to send the payment; in that case, use this:

Verohallinto — Finnish Tax Administration
Vääksyntie 4
00510 Helsinki

If you make the payment from a foreign bank, it may take some time before the payment arrives at the Tax Administration’s account. Ask your bank how long the payment transfer will take and make sure you reserve enough time for the transfer. If the payment arrives late, you will have to pay late-payment interest. Please note that the amount you pay must cover both the tax and any transfer charges or other charges collected by the bank. Ask your bank about the charges.

If the payment details you have enter are insufficient or incorrect, and the payment does not arrive at the Tax Administration’s bank account, it will be returned to your bank. This may cause some additional charges.

Reference number matches your payment to the correct tax

When paying a tax, always use the reference number of the tax type in question. The Tax Administration uses the reference number to allocate your payment to the correct tax type and taxpayer. For example, when you pay your own real estate tax, you must use your own personal reference number. You cannot use your spouse’s or anyone else’s reference number.

You can find the payment reference

  • in MyTax
  • on your tax decision (except for self-assessed taxes)
  • by calling the telephone service for payment transactions at +358 29 497 026
  • VAT-liable regular employers receive the reference number for self-assessed taxes from the Tax Administration by letter after registration.

Please add the bank reference number to all your payments. Enter it in the “reference number” field. If there is no reference number field, or if you cannot enter the reference in the field, write the reference in the message field.

Read more: Bank account numbers and reference numbers

Frequently asked questions

SEPA payments are bank transfers in compliance with the European bank transfer standard. They can be used to pay all payments in euros within the euro payment area.  SEPA bank transfers usually arrive on the next business day and no later than in three business days.

SEPA stands for Single Euro Payments Area, the European common market for payment transactions. The area covers all EU Member States (including countries outside the euro system) and certain other European countries.

The Tax Administration’s bank details include a BIC identifier and a bank account number in the IBAN format. The BIC identifies the payment recipient’s bank. For example, the BIC for Danske Bank is DABAFIHH. Finnish IBAN bank account numbers always begin with the country code FI.

The Business ID of the Tax Administration is 0245458-3.

The Tax Administration does not accept cheques. Taxes must be paid by bank transfer to the Tax Administration’s bank accounts in euros.

If you live or move outside Finland, you must notify the Tax Administration of your new address. Read more: Change of address

If you leave Finland permanently or for a long period of time, we recommend that you appoint another person who lives in Finland to act as your agent. The Tax Administration will send all your tax decisions and other tax-related mail to your agent.

Page last updated 11/25/2022