Making payments from other countries

When paying taxes, it is important that you use the correct bank account number and reference number. The Tax Administration uses the reference number to allocate the payment to the correct taxpayer.

All the details you need for making payments, such as the Tax Administration’s bank account number, the correct reference number and the due date of your tax, you can find in your tax decision, on the bank transfer forms sent to you and in MyTax.

If you make the payment from a foreign bank, it may take some time before the payment arrives at the Tax Administration’s account. Ask your bank how long the payment transfer will take and make sure you reserve enough time for the transfer. If the payment arrives late, you will have to pay a late-payment charge. Please note that the amount you pay must cover both the tax and any transfer charges or other charges collected by the bank. Ask your bank about the charges.

If the payment details you have enter are insufficient or incorrect, and the payment does not arrive at the Tax Administration’s bank account, it will be returned to your bank. This may cause some additional charges.

Reference number matches your payment to the correct tax

When paying a tax, always use the reference number of the tax type in question. The Tax Administration uses the reference number to allocate your payment to the correct tax type and taxpayer.

You can find the payment reference

  • in MyTax
  • on your tax decision (except for self-assessed taxes)
  • by calling the telephone service for payment transactions at +358 29 497 026
  • VAT-liable regular employers receive the reference number for self-assessed taxes from the Tax Administration by letter after registration

If necessary, you can check all the payment details in MyTax or by calling +358 29 497 026.

Use the international RF format for the reference number. Enter the reference number in full, including the letters RF. If you cannot enter the number in full, you can leave out the first four characters.

Please note if you cannot enter the reference number the reference field, you can enter it in the message field.

Frequently asked questions

If you are paying a tax to Finland from another EU country or one of certain other European countries, making a SEPA payment is the fastest and least expensive method.

SEPA stands for Single Euro Payments Area. The SEPA system is used in 34 European countries: all EU Member States as well as Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco and Switzerland.

How SEPA bank transfers work:

  • the original payment is transferred to the recipient’s account in full
  • the currency of SEPA transfers is always the euro
  • the payment arrives in the recipient’s bank account within three banking days
  • the recipient’s bank account is identified by its IBAN and the bank’s BIC.

Payment methods and charges for payment transfer vary from country to country. The payer must ask their bank how to make payments to Finland and how long it will take to transfer a payment. In addition, the payer must include a tax-specific reference number or enter details in the message field to indicate whose tax and what type of tax they are paying.

The Tax Administration’s bank details include a BIC identifier and a bank account number in the IBAN format. The BIC identifies the payment recipient’s bank. For example, the BIC for Danske Bank is DABAFIHH. Finnish IBAN bank account numbers always begin with the country code FI.

The Tax Administration does not accept cheques. Taxes must be paid by bank transfer to the Tax Administration’s bank accounts in euros.

If you live or move outside Finland, you must notify the Tax Administration of your new address. Read more: Change of address

If you leave Finland permanently or for a long period of time, we recommend that you appoint another person who lives in Finland to act as your agent. The Tax Administration will send all your tax decisions and other tax-related mail to your agent.