Asylum seeker - how to get a tax card for work

You can work in Finland after 3 or 6 months have passed since you applied for asylum. Check your right to work at Migri’s website



Fill in Form 5042e and print it. You can also visit a tax office to get the form. But if you can, please fill in the form before visiting the tax office.

Write these details on the form:

  • personal details (including name, date of birth, address)
  • the date of arrival in Finland
  • the date when your work starts
  • your employer's name, if you know it
  • an estimate of the amount of pay you will receive in the entire year


Bring these documents to the tax office:

  • the tax card application that you have filled in
  • the residence card that your reception centre has given you (this will be used to identify you)
  • a passport, if you have one
  • an employment contract, if you have one

If you do not have a work contract yet, you must estimate how much you will be paid this year. Also say where you will get a job or who is giving you work.

Find your nearest tax office

You can get an artificial ID at a tax office

As an asylum seeker, you cannot get a Finnish personal ID. The tax official will give you an artificial ID number to prove your identity. This ID only works at tax offices. You cannot use it at the bank or other places.

With the artificial ID, you can also ask for a tax number. You need a tax number if you work at a building site. Read more about the tax number