Scam messages have been sent out in the Tax Administration’s name. Read more about scams.

As of 1 February 2022, the Tax Administration checks whether workers arriving to Finland from outside the EU or the EEA have the right to work

News, 1/28/2022

If a worker coming from abroad to work in Finland does not have a Finnish personal ID needed for a tax card or a tax number, they can make an appointment at a tax office, where they will be issued a Finnish personal ID. Appointments can be booked by calling our service number.

When the Tax Administration issues a personal ID and registers a person in the Population Information System, it also checks whether the person, either a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country or a stateless worker, has the right to work in Finland. The Tax Administration starts checking the right to work as of 1 February 2022.

When a worker visits a tax office in order to get a personal ID, they need to have all the necessary documents with them. If they are not a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, they also need a residence permit that entitles them to work. If the worker has previously worked in Finland and already has a Finnish personal ID, they do not need to be registered again.

When the permit is required, it is the employer’s responsibility to make sure that the foreign worker has a residence permit that entitles them to work. The foreign worker who requests to be registered must also make sure that they have the right to work in Finland. If the worker does not have a residence permit that entitles them to work, they must request it from the Finnish Immigration Service. The Tax Administration can register a worker in the Population Information System and give them a personal ID only if the worker has a residence permit entitling them to work or if they have a right to work in accordance with the Aliens Act or the Seasonal Workers Act.

Read more:

Finnish personal IDs for workers arriving in Finland 

Work in Finland

Page last updated 1/28/2022