Study and training expenses
You can deduct training expenses that you have paid personally in order to maintain the skills or expertise needed for the work you had before the training.
You can deduct the following training expenses:
- attendance fees
- charges for course materials
- travel expenses
- expenses for staying overnight at the study location.
Specify how the training relates to your current work tasks.
Expenses for basic and vocational education are not deductible.
Further information and case law concerning the deduction of training expenses. (In Finnish and Swedish only)
You can deduct training expenses that relate to maintaining and supplementing your skills or expertise needed for work
The following factors may indicate that the training is necessary for you to maintain or supplement your professional skills or expertise:
- the subject matter and content of the training are directly related to your work tasks
- the training started during your employment
- the content of the training was planned and implemented together with your employer
- you attend the training on your employer’s or your own initiative, and you agreed on the training during a development discussion
- your employer pays a share of the training costs
- the training takes place during working hours.