How to claim meal expenses in MyTax
You can deduct an amount corresponding to the meal allowance per day of travel as expenses for the production of income, if all the following conditions are met:
- You are a special-sector employee (construction, earthmoving or forestry) and you do not have a fixed place of work.
- Your employer has not provided lunch service at the special place of work or a place close to it.
- Your employer has not paid you a meal allowance, a daily allowance or other compensation for meals.
- Your expenses for the production of income total more than €750.
You can claim a deduction equal to the meal allowance on your tax return. In 2021, the meal allowance was €11 per day. If the workday is over 11 hours long, including 2 meal breaks, the meal allowance is 22 euros. Travel time is not included in the working hours.
How to file in MyTax
In the Individual income tax section, click the Check your pre-completed tax return link under Tax year 2021.
In the first stage, you will see your own details. Go to the section Pre-completed income and deductions.
Check that your pre-completed income and deductions are correct.
Move on to Other deductions.
Select Yes for Expenses for the production of income.
Then click Open specification under Expenses for the production of wage income.
Enter the sum of the meals under Increased living expenses due to business trips.
Once everything is correct, click OK.
Go to Preview and send.
- Check that the details are correct. Click Edit or Previous to make corrections.
- If you wish to continue filling in the details later, select Save as unfinished. Information saved as unfinished is stored for 2 weeks. The Tax Administration will not process the information before you have submitted it.
- Once all the details are correct, click Submit. After this, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt.