There are scam messages in circulation that claim to be sent by the Tax Administration. Read more about scam messages

How to use MyTax for your tax matters

These instructions help you to log in to MyTax, navigate the service and get an overall idea of the process of filing a tax return, for example.

You need

  • a computer, a tablet or a smartphone and access to the internet – check what devices and browsers are recommended for MyTax
  • personal online banking codes, a mobile certificate, a certificate card, or the Finnish Authenticator app (foreign companies)
  • the information you wish to report to the Tax Administration.

Proceed stage by stage

Logging in to MyTax requires electronic identification, which means that you need personal online banking codes, a mobile certificate or a certificate card. Foreign companies can use the Finnish Authenticator app. In practice, logging in to MyTax is like logging in to your own online bank.

How to access MyTax

  1. Go to the MyTax login page (link opens in a new window)

    You can also write in the address bar of the browser.

  2. You are now on the MyTax login page. Click Sign in.

  3. See image

    Select the method of identification you wish to use. If you use your online banking codes, proceed by clicking the name of your bank.

  4. See image

    You are now on the login page of your bank. Select your method of identification. Log in with your online banking codes in the same way as when you use your own online bank service.

    In the example screenshot below, you can see the login page of the Nordea bank. The code application is selected as the default method of identification. Enter your user ID and click OK. Further information and instructions for logging in are available on your bank’s website.

    Please note that when you log in, the service provider may appear to be the OP Identity Service Broker, even if you are using the banking codes of some other bank.

You can always use MyTax to take care of your own and your underage child’s tax matters.

If you take care of another person’s, company’s or organisation’s tax matters, you will need a authorisation. Read more: How to grant a authorisation for tax matters

Select the correct box

You now see a page with three green boxes.

  1. When you are taking care of your own tax matters – such as checking your pre-completed tax return or requesting a new tax card – select the box that says My tax matters.

  2. Select the box in the middle that says Act on behalf of someone else if

    • you are requesting a tax card for your underage child
    • you have a authorisation with which you can take care of another person’s tax matters.
  3. Select the box on the bottom that says Act on behalf of a company if

    • you are taking care of your company’s or corporation’s tax matters
    • you have a authorisation with which you can manage the tax matters of a company, a corporation, a partnership, an association, a benefit under joint administration, or a death estate with a Business ID.
  1. See image

    MyTax home page: Your tax types tab

    You are on the MyTax home page, where the first thing you see is your own payment status. On this page, you can also find all your personal tax matters and you can access returns, requests and applications relating to them.

    By clicking the links, you can open new tabs and access tasks, activities, all tax types and taxpayer details.

    You can also try clicking various links to check what you can find in MyTax. You can always return to the MyTax home page by clicking the tab Your tax types or the MyTax logo on the top left corner of the page.

  2. See image

    Tasks tab

    The red icon on the Tasks tab indicates that you have new tasks or matters to attend to in MyTax. The Tasks will let you know if you have received a new decision or a letter, or if you need to submit your bank account number for tax refunds.

  3. See image

    Communication tab

    You can find decisions, letters and information requests via the Communication tab. You can send a message to the Tax Administration or identify yourself for the telephone service. You can also active Messages via the Communication tab.

  4. See image

    Activities tab

    Via the Activities tab you can

    • pay taxes
    • file and submit various returns, requests and applications
    • view the returns you have filed and the requests and applications you have submitted.
  5. See image

    All tax types tab

    On the All tax types tab, you can view different tax types and the activities relating to them.
    Tax types include, for example, income tax, inheritance tax, gift tax, transfer tax, and car tax. If you select inheritance tax, for example, you can view all activities relating to inheritance tax.


  6. See image

    Taxpayer details tab

    Your contact information is on the Taxpayer details tab. Via the Taxpayer details tab you can

    • submit a bank account number
    • enter your tax number in the tax number register
    • start business activities (a business name or agricultural operation)

Example: new tax card for wages

  1. See image

    Go to Your tax types tab.

    There is a Tax card section under Individual income tax. Select Request a tax card or a prepayment.

  2. See image

    Click the Request a new tax card button.

  3. See image

    Click Select the short tax card request.

By clicking the links in the Individual income tax section, you can also report other income and deductions for your tax return, for example. The stages of a tax return and a tax card request are similar.

Example: Tax card and prepayment request

  • See image

    You are on the first page of the tax card and prepayment request. The request has 6 stages. You can proceed to the next stage in two different ways:

    • Select the name of the stage from the breadcrumb trail (see the screenshot below).
    • Click Next at the bottom of the page.

    Check the existing and add new details in the different stages of the request:

    1.  Background information: Check your own details.
    2.  Pre-completed income and deductions: Report details on wages.
    3. Other income: Report whether you have any other income, such as benefits paid by Kela.
    4. Other deductions: Report any deductions, such as travel expenses.
    5. Delivery method: Select whether you want your tax card to be delivered electronically or on paper as well, and whether the tax card should be delivered straight to the payor.
    6. Preview and send.
  • See image

    If you report details in the Other income and Other deductions stages, first select Yes at the appropriate matter (see the screenshot). Then click the link Add new and enter the details.

    More information is available in the instructions How to request a tax card for wage or benefit income in MyTax

  • See image

    At Preview and send, you can still check the details you have entered. If you want to see more details, select the appropriate subheading (see the screenshot below).

    • If you want to make corrections, click Edit. MyTax takes you directly to the section where you can edit the details. After that, you must go again to Preview and send.
    • When all the details are correct, you can submit the tax card request. Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page. When the Tax Administration has received your return, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt.
  • See image

    When you have submitted your tax return or finished taking care of other tax matters in MyTax, remember to log off. First, click the Your own details and logout link on the top right corner of the page and then click Log Off.

    Please note: If you are logged in to several e-services at the same time, you will be logged out from all the services that use authorisation.

Are you looking for these?


Instructions for MyTax

Page last updated 3/1/2023